We say so much about ourselves without even speaking and the messages we are sending may be ones we don’t want to convey! You can upgrade your image by paying attention to the following non-verbal communications and becoming aware of the messages you are inadvertently sending:
- Anger at other people is usually caused by a frustration within us or a mirror they held in front of us that we don’t like. Try to think of constructive communication that may help the other person improve and at the same time convey the message you want to send.
- Ill-fitting clothes that are either too tight or too loose, wrinkles, scuffed shoes, untied laces and outfits that are not appropriate for the environment all tell people you don’t care, you are lazy, and/or that you really are ignorant of the big message you are conveying.
- Chewing gum and eating in the wrong place at the wrong time can be read as a sign of immaturity, lack of respect and self-indulgence. And, these are not characteristics most people want to cultivate in their companies or personal relationships.
- Posture says a lot about who we are and how we expect to treat others. Slumping can be seen as both a lack of self-respect and a lack of discipline. One of the best results of military training is the development of an appreciation for good posture and the mutual respect as well as attractiveness this engenders.
- Eyes are said to be the mirrors of the soul and they can offer an intriguing peek into who a person is. When talking with others, notice the following about both their eyes and yours. Do they engage the other person, or wander around? Do they focus on mirrors or reflecting surfaces that send feed back to the subject? Are they attentive and seeking to learn about the other person or people? Do the eyes serve as part of the conversation, or do they look off as if being evasive? One of the most effective communication skills is to use direct eye contact.
- Personal grooming statements, such as showing significant cleavage, wearing a strong dominating scent, donning heavy or dramatic makeup, are purposeful acts. The important thing is to be sure that your actions serve your desires.
- A handshake tells a lot about an individual. If you were taught that a lady offers only her finger tips, that a wrestler’s grip entitles you to admiration, or that the damp hand is inviting, consider carefully what message you are sending with your handshake and work on adjusting it accordingly.
Great Pacific Escrow Team